[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 kernel does not load

Geoff Levand geoff at infradead.org
Fri Oct 16 08:31:04 AEDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 18:08 +0100, Declan Malone wrote:
> I hope that this is the right place to ask this.

This is the place for PS3 help with firmware 3.20 and earlier.

> I downloaded what I think is the official kernel from
>
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git

For firmware 3.20 and earlier, the latest is there.  The upstream
stable kernel will also work.

> After compiling and installing it and putting it into my kboot.conf
> with the line
>
>     linux-4.2.0="/boot/vmlinux-4.2.0-01270-g19ff78f root=/dev/ps3dd2

Maybe 'root=ps3da2'?  Not sure about otheros++ devices.

> I did a shutdown -r to get into petitboot, but after selecting the
> kernel and getting the usual "system is going down now" message
> before the kexec, the PS3's power light just flashes red and there
> are three quick beeps.

Three beeps means there was some kind of invalid memory access or
a bad LV1 call.

> My system is at firmware version 3.55 and I'm using pslight to launch
> the (iirc) otheros++ install.

Sorry, my stuff on kernel.org is for firmware 3.20 and earlier.
You'll need to get a kernel, or kernel patches from the otheros++ guys.

> I'd like to get the latest official kernel since it seems to fix a
> long-standing problem I had with spufs not being populated.

You should be able to forward port any otheros++ kernel patches to the
latest kernel.

-Geoff