[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 kernel does not load

Declan Malone declan.malone at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 04:08:27 AEDT 2015

Hi,

I hope that this is the right place to ask this. I downloaded what I think
is the official kernel from

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git

At the time of downloading, the last commit is
19ff78fe6470bb44771c20c9b7546a2c7a631752 and I'm on branch "master".

After compiling and installing it and putting it into my kboot.conf with
the line

    linux-4.2.0="/boot/vmlinux-4.2.0-01270-g19ff78f root=/dev/ps3dd2
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-01270-g19ff78f"

I did a shutdown -r to get into petitboot, but after selecting the kernel
and getting the usual "system is going down now" message before the kexec,
the PS3's power light just flashes red and there are three quick beeps.

My system is at firmware version 3.55 and I'm using pslight to launch the
(iirc) otheros++ install. I'm running a fully-updated Debian wheezy OS

My kernel build should have been standard:

make ps3_defconfig
make oldconfig
make
make install (failed with messages about not finding modules)
make modules_install
make install (previous error messages went away)

After failing to reboot, I also did another make modules_install, but it
didn't help.

I'd like to get the latest official kernel since it seems to fix a
long-standing problem I had with spufs not being populated (I'd tried
applying the patches to other kernels I had but that didn't work). The
above seems to be the right way to go about things, but perhaps the git
repo or branch I'm using doesn't work?

Failing getting this kernel to work, is there some up-to-date documentation
for the preferred setup for re-installing Linux on my box? I think I can
revert the firmware if needed. I'd like it if my setup was as close as
possible to what you kernel development guys have. Before I nuke everything
and start again, though, I'd just like to know what setup will give me the
best compatibility/kernel support.

Thanks in advance,
dec