[Cbe-oss-dev] Good resources for PS3 linux

Jonathan Adamczewski jadamcze at utas.edu.au
Sun Feb 3 10:47:32 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM, sony fedora <sonyfedora at outlook.com> wrote:

> Are there any good sites on what can and cannot be done in linux for PS3
> (both technical and legal wise)?  For example, could some sort of GPU like
> parallel computing (OpenCL) be done?

OpenCL for Linux on Power has support for Cell BE -
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/Wbf059a58a9b9_459d_aca4_493655c96370/page/OpenCL%20Downloads

It's not very easy to set up, and it's probably of limited use...

  Could I run my legal PS1/2/3 games in linux?

Nope - they need to run from gameos.

>   I just want to play with the system since I do own another PS3 (and
> PS1/2), if that matters.  I'm having fun playing with python at the moment,
> so I guess setting up a web server on it should be no problem.

A web server should be pretty straightforward to set up - use the package
manager for your distro and install your web server of choice.

> Would it be possible to add RAM?  I've done a brief search, but many links
> point to storage and the links that talk about memory say its not really
> possible.

No, it's not possible.

j.