[Cbe-oss-dev] Cannot get ps3-video-mode to work for ViewSonic N2635w

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Tue Mar 9 06:38:31 EST 2010

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:45:59 -0800
Christopher Ozeroff <COzeroff at relic.com> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi, I've reformatted the message to make it more readable, please
consider wrapping your lines to a sane width, thanks.

Replies inlined.

> I have been trying to use Linux on my PS3 at home, in order to make a
> little videogame for my 18 month old daughter. I have tried installing
> both Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 and Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) on the PS3,
> but I cannot get any video mode except 480i to work on my ViewSonic
> N2635w TV.

This is over HDMI, right?

> First, the symptoms: Regardless of how I set a higher resolution
> (let's say 720p) the TV recognizes the new setting (the on-screen
> display pops up), and the TV changes to that mode. The mode is
> definitely higher res, and it fits in the viewable space of the
> screen, but it is subtly corrupted. Colors are fine, but the text is
> really terrible, almost unreadable. It seems as if some vertical lines
> are missing, which can make lower-case M look like lower case N, for
> example. At first I thought that this was only the font, but I can
> also see it in the XWindow system by moving the mouse slowly (it is
> missing some columns of pixels in certain positions on the screen).
> The display is essentially unusable in this state, either in the
> console or in the XWindows system.

It looks like the problem described here:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6915

I experienced this with a Philips TV, but it does not happen with a Sony
Bravia.

> With all of my searching and trying other methods, I have never seen
> anyone mention a problem like this. Does anyone have an idea what the
> issue could be?

Someone said it could depend on HDMI implementation on the TV part, but
it doesn't happen in GameOS, I don't know how much this theory can hold.

Using component instead of HDMI fixed the problem for some people.

> Here are all of the things I have tried:
> - Two OS's, Ubuntu 9.10 and YDL 6.2
> - all combinations of ps3-video-mode, 50hz/60hz, 480p/720p/1080i
>   (1080p not supported by tv), dithering on/off, rgb on/off, fullscreen
>   on/off, full-range-color on/off.
> - I have tried removing the ps3-video-mode line on boot, and writing
>   my own Xorg.conf file. In this file, I used fbdev as the driver, and a
>   modeline I generated by referring to the manual specifications for my
>   television. I discovered several interesting issues there and fixed
>   them. If it is useful, I can post the file. Result: the file seems to
>   be correctly interpreted, but in the xorg log, the fbdev says it
>   checks the modeline with the TV, and then it seems to refuse to apply
> - related to xorg.conf, I have researched methods for disabling EDID
>   and other modeline checking, but those methods only seem to work for
>   the nvidia driver, I can't find any similar options for the fbdev
>   driver.
> - I have read many forums in a search for someone with a similar
>   problem, but have found no references to something similar to this.
>   Most people have more mundane problems, like screen overdraw or not
>   using ps3-video-mode in the first place

So it is not the same problem from the link above? It looks like it is.

> - Note that my TV works fine in the Sony OS. Both 720p and 1080i work
>   fine for games and XMB.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help, I am at my wit's end.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> P.S: Is there an easy way to search the archives of cbe-oss-dev? I
> don't often use mailman mailing lists.

google with "site:<mailinglist site> your_keyword" could do.

Regards,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite