[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 hangs during shutdown

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 5 09:25:13 EST 2010

On 04/01/10 19:53, Geoff Levand wrote:
> On 01/03/2010 12:48 PM, Andrea wrote:
>> Yesterday for the first time I was able to view the problem "live" (i.e. from the console and not
>> via ssh).
>>
>> I pressed the power button and the shutdown sequence started.
>> But at the end, after something like "please wait while system goes down", nothing else happened.
>> What was different this time is that the cursor *was* still blinking (I remember Geoff asking me that).
>> Can this be helpful?
>
> Yes, it means the 1st stage kernel is still running,
> but hung up.  I guess some driver has hung up while
> unloading.
>
> Can you ssh or telnet to the ps3?

No.
And as far as I can remember, before it hangs, I can see on screen all services being stopped one by
one, and one of them is sshd.

> What kernel?
>
> Please try using the latest stable (currently linux-2.6.32.2)
> with ps3_defconfig from here:
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/
>
> -Geoff

Last time it happened I was using 2.6.32.2 with a config "based" on ps3_defconfig.
I needed to change (mostly enable) extra things like LVM, USB (ehci & ohci as modules), multimedia,
SELinux, iptables.
A plain ps3_defconfig stops halfway through the initialization.
I can send (not now though) the config I used.

Andrea