[Cbe-oss-dev] Installing Debain Squeeze on the Playstation 3

thegame4121982 at msn.com thegame4121982 at msn.com
Sun Nov 22 15:05:00 EST 2009

Hello, first off, I would like to say in my opinion Debian is the fastest and most stable operating system that runs on the Playstation 3. An installation of Debian on the Playstation 3 for me uses only 80+MB of RAM using the gnome desktop with no programs loaded. I tried upgrading from lenny to squeeze but it resulted in some problems with some broken packages/dependencies. My goal is to have a relatively stable system with the latest versions of packages. The Debian installer starts and detects everything and it does complete but it for some reason cannot decide which kernel to install it seems so it gives the error message of no kernel was found or something to that effect. It should install the linux-image-2.6.xx-powerpc64 kernel image. As stated above, the installation does complete but as a result of the kernel not being installed, /etc/yaboot.conf is not created and thus after installation, the system is left unbootable. I have found some installation instructions for Debian on the Playstation 3 but those instructions are for Debian lenny. Also, I tried installing Debian squeeze from an sd memory card so I don't know if the Debian squeeze installer detects the CD ROM drive. Anyone with any experience on installing Debian Squeeze on the Playstation 3? I know it is not officially supported on the Playstation 3 but it runs very well. Thanks.