[Cbe-oss-dev] Plain yaboot port on PS3

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Mon Mar 23 04:28:57 EST 2009

On 03/21/2009 11:14 PM, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> Hi.
>
> While thinking about various (well-known) QA problems related to
> kboot/petitboot and distributions, I suddenly came up with an idea.
> How hard would that be to make a plain yaboot port on PS3? That is, to
> make otheros.bld/.self with just a yaboot image, and boot it directly
> from console's firmware?
> Of course, some platform support might clearly be needed, but provided
> it is available in the kernel I don't think that's too much of a
> problem. The darkest part is firmware boot process.
> Is such a thing possible at all?

I have no interest in pursuing this, and highly recommend against it.

It would be considerable effort to do, and then considerable effort
to maintain, and the end result would be inferior to what the
OpenWRT + petitboot system provides.

Jeremy Kerr and I are currently doing a rework of petitboot which
will address the old version's shortcomings.