[Cbe-oss-dev] QS22 and Linux Distros

gelliott gelliott at cs.unc.edu
Sat Jul 18 05:53:05 EST 2009

Thanks to all for the recommendations.  I tried Debian Etch (again,
looking for an older kernel) and got the new error message of "Not an
ELF executable".  I'll try Lenny next week for the heck of it, but I
doubt that it will boot.  Fedora 9 appears to work (it's installing at
the moment) and I will then install the BSC kernel.  I guess that I'll
just have to spend some extra time validating my patch for 2.6.24 on
2.6.25, as well as look over BSC's documentation to see what additional
patches they make in their kernel.

Can anyone speculate as to why the Debian-based distributions are not
working?  Are there Cell-specific (or QS22-specific) kernel options that
must be enabled that may not be enabled in these distributions?  The
only other Cell platform I've worked on is the PS3.  Ubuntu worked just
fine there, though I was using the PS3-specific ISO (though I thought
the only difference here was in the ram disk).

Thanks,
Glenn