[Cbe-oss-dev] QS22 and Linux Distros

Gerhard Stenzel gerhard.stenzel at de.ibm.com
Fri Jul 17 17:25:00 EST 2009

> Hello All,
>
> I am attempting to install Ubuntu on a QS22.  Has anyone had success
> with something like this?  I am having trouble when I try to boot from
> the installation CD.  I get the error "(600) Alignment Exception [8000]"
> (plus a hex dump) when I try to boot Ubuntu 8.04.  I get the message
> "Not a bootable device" when I try to boot Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04.  I am
> using the PPC Alternate ISOs.  (About my hardware: I have a BladeCenter
> S chassis with a QS22 blade which has the SAS expansion card.  I plan to
> boot from SAS disks in the chassis.)

If booting from the ISO is a problem, setting up a netboot/netinstall
environment might be an alternative solution. The boot path through the
firmware is different.

> I understand that RHEL 5.2+ is recommended for the QS22, but I have been
> hoping to find a distribution that tracks the mainline kernel a little
> bit closer as well as avoid any backport complications as I will be
> doing some kernel hacking.  What distributions have folks been able to
> run on the QS22?  Is there a trick to getting Ubuntu to run?  Ideally, I
> would first run 8.04 as I have a kernel patch for 2.6.24 that I'd like
> to use-- 8.04's kernel is very close to 2.6.24.  I plan to re-baseline
> the patch in the near future, after which I would want to become more
> current.

In this case, I would start with Fedora 9 and the 2.6.25-based kernel from
BSC (http://www.bsc.es/plantillaH.php?cat_id=578) and then later upgrade to
Fedora 10 and Fedora 11 via yum update.

In general, you are likely to have less problems with Fedora on QS22,
although I am sure other distros can also be made to work. Only a question
of effort and time you are willing to spend..

> I understand that this mailing list is more for kernel development for
> Cell platforms, but I thought I would find the most experienced users
here.

> Thank you,
> Glenn

Best regards,

Gerhard Stenzel

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter | Geschäftsführung: Erich
Baier
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294