[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 sound driver / alsa problem with latest 2.6.28 kernel (2.6.28-09223-gc2fe70d)

Masakazu Mokuno mokuno at sm.sony.co.jp
Tue Jan 27 13:24:47 EST 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:54:01 +0100
Stefan Wald <WALD at de.ibm.com> wrote:

> nobody have an idea?
> can spe activity disturb alsa? what can i do to isolate the problem?

The message 'DMA ch x is not stopped' meant that the driver found the
DMA operation was still in progress when it was expected to be stopped.
It was not expected to happen generally. The buffer underrun may cause
the symptom, although I've never seen that case.

Could you send me the program which can reproduce the symptom?

regards

> ----- Forwarded by Stefan Wald/Germany/IBM on 01/26/2009 09:51 PM -----
>
>   From:       Stefan Wald/Germany/IBM
>
>   To:         cbe-oss-dev at ozlabs.org
>
>   Date:       01/13/2009 09:29 PM
>
>   Subject:    Re: PS3 sound driver / alsa problem with latest 2.6.28 kernel (2.6.28-09223-gc2fe70d)
>

> Hi, forgot to mention that I'm getting these dmesgs:
> snd_ps3_verify_dma_stop: DMA ch 0 is not
> stopped.<6>snd_ps3_verify_dma_stop: DMA ch 0 is not stopped.
> hopefully this rings a bell...
> Thanks,
> Stefan,
>
> > cbe-oss-dev
> >
> > 01/12/2009 11:02 PM
> >
> > Hi,
> > I experience an intermittend alsa sound lockup with the latest 2.6.
> > 28 kernel on PS3. However, this problem has been around for a while
> > ... probably since the very beginning ;-)
> > I use ALSA in NONBLOCK mode and it generally works fine. But
> > intermittendly it looks like alsa locks up (in most cases shortly
> > after playback start).
> > writei() then constantly returns -11 and snd_pcm_wait() never
> > returns a 1 indicating that alsa is ready again to accept new frames.
> > It's my impression that this lockup occurs more often in situations
> > where there is high libspe activity with high memory utilization,
> > but that's just a perception.
> > My ALSA initialization is very similar to the one used in mplayer.
> > I have played with the initialization: disabled underrun reporting,
> > varied buffer sizes... but no change.
> > Anything special I need to consider for PS3?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stefan

Masakazu Mokuno