[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 sound driver / alsa problem with latest 2.6.28 kernel (2.6.28-09223-gc2fe70d)

Stefan Wald WALD at de.ibm.com
Tue Jan 13 09:02:59 EST 2009

Hi,
I experience an intermittend alsa sound lockup with the latest 2.6.28
kernel on PS3. However, this problem has been around for a while ...
probably since the very beginning ;-)
I use ALSA in NONBLOCK mode and it generally works fine. But intermittendly
it looks like alsa locks up (in most cases shortly after playback start).
writei() then constantly returns -11 and snd_pcm_wait() never returns a 1
indicating that alsa is ready again to accept new frames.
It's my impression that this lockup occurs more often in situations where
there is high libspe activity with high memory utilization, but that's just
a perception.
My ALSA initialization is very similar to the one used in mplayer.
I have played with the initialization: disabled underrun reporting, varied
buffer sizes... but no change.
Anything special I need to consider for PS3?

Thanks,
Stefan,