[Cbe-oss-dev] USB sound recording issue

Andrew Friedley afriedle at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 17 00:49:26 EST 2009

Geoff Levand wrote:
> I guess it is a stale .ko left from an old build.  Before building
> the kernel delete all the old modules:
>
> 	rm -rf ${target}/lib/modues/2.6.28-${whatever}

I've been doing that; it looks like the module came from my initrd,
which I hadn't been updating each time.  Making a new initrd using this
kernel/config (OHCI=y, EHCI=n) gives me a working system on boot.

However this kernel hangs when I reboot it.  I run 'reboot' at the
command line, init goes through its stuff, I see 'Please stand by while
rebooting the system...', and nothing else happens.  I have to power
cycle the PS3.

Also I tried OHCI=n, EHCI=y again to make sure I tested that case
properly, and yes the original problem occurs in that case.  With this
kernel, the PS3 reboots properly.

>> I rmmod'd, and now I can arecord as many
>> times as I want!
>
> You should use 'modprobe -r', rmmod will not always do the right
> thing.

OK thanks.

> Seems it could be a problem with the ehci driver?

OK, anything I else I should try to help debug?  I think I have access
to a PPC mac running linux, I can try the preamp there later today.

>>> And try some of these:
>>>
>>> - just your device, no other USB devices (run from ssh session)
>>> - USB 1.0 HUB + your device, no other USB devices (run from ssh session)
>> I don't have access to a USB 1.0 hub; the closest thing I have is a
>> monitor with a 2.0 hub and builtin card reader.  If I connect the preamp
>> to the hub, and the hub to the PS3, behavior doesn't change.
>
> Right, PS3 already has a 2.0 hub inside it, so you wouldn't see any change.
> Please try with an old 1.0 hub if you can.

I'm unable to find one around the lab here.  My admin thinks he has one,
but isn't coming in today -- will have to wait until tomorrow.

Andrew