[Cbe-oss-dev] USB sound recording issue

Andrew Friedley afriedle at indiana.edu
Sat Feb 14 08:54:05 EST 2009

Geoff Levand wrote:
> On 02/13/2009 08:28 AM, Andrew Friedley wrote:
> Is there any other information I can provide?
>
> Could you try these tests and report?

OK, I used 2.6.28.5.

> With a recent kernel try these builds:
>
> - ps3_defconfig + CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=n + CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y

Disconnected all devices except for the preamp prior to booting;
behavior doesn't change from the original problem.

> - ps3_defconfig + CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y + CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=n

The preamp doesn't seem to be recognized:

$ arecord -D default:CARD=default -f dat test5.wav
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card 'default'
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default:CARD=default
arecord: main:590: audio open error: No such device

I did and lsmod and noticed 'ehci_hcd' was loaded somehow, not sure
where that module came from.  I rmmod'd, and now I can arecord as many
times as I want!

I need to leave work right now; I'll investigate more this evening.

> And try some of these:
>
> - just your device, no other USB devices (run from ssh session)
> - USB 1.0 HUB + your device, no other USB devices (run from ssh session)

I don't have access to a USB 1.0 hub; the closest thing I have is a
monitor with a 2.0 hub and builtin card reader.  If I connect the preamp
to the hub, and the hub to the PS3, behavior doesn't change.

Andrew