[Cbe-oss-dev] MARS problems on Fedora 12

Yuji Mano yuji.mano at am.sony.com
Wed Dec 23 12:36:39 EST 2009

Hi Alistair.

Alistair Low wrote:
> I'm having trouble running the MARS samples on a new Fedora 12
> installation on a PS3. When I try to run the 'hello' or 'barrier'
> samples, I get "MARS context create failed! (6)" and the sample exits
> with code 1.

Aren't all the samples failing for you then? (not just 'hello' and 'barrier')

>From the MARS documentation here:
ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/Sony-PS3/mars/latest/mars-docs-1.1.4/html/group__group__mars__context.html#g054e29a9b266ef9091fc21cf797a65a5

MARS_ERROR_LIMIT - no more available MPUs or system threads

and since I doubt you've reached the pthread limit, it's the
former and you have no more available MPUs (spus)

> Is there anything obvious I've broken or missed in the configuration of
> my PS3?

The initial problem could be that your spufs is not mounted.
Try 'mount' and make sure you see something like:

'spufs on /spu type spufs (rw)'

If not, mount spufs:

mkdir /spu
mount -t spufs spufs /spu

If you want it to automount at startup:
add 'spufs /spu spufs defaults 0 0' to '/etc/fstab'

However, I am noticing another MARS internal problem calling into the NUMA
layer which will ultimately cause the same problem even after spufs is
properly mounted. The problem will be looked into and a fix should be
released in the near future.

Thank you for the report.

Regards,
Yuji