[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 Fedora 12 install notes

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Dec 23 08:15:57 EST 2009

On 11/20/2009 04:33 PM, Levand, Geoffrey wrote:
> Fedora 12 was released this week.  Unfortunately, due to
> an increase in memory usage of anaconda the Fedora installer
> program some special procedures are needed to install it
> on the PS3.
>
> I made a new howto note 'PS3 Fedora install HOW-TO' that
> describes how to install Fedora on your PS3:
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-howto/ps3-fedora-install-howto.txt
>
> Please report any additional steps needed or problems faced
> when installing to your system.

A number of users have reported that VNC install has worked
for them without trouble, and no users have reported any
install failure with VNC, so I now recommend that users
try VNC install first, as it allows for customization of
the install and will by default install a full GNOME system.

When booting the installer, add these kernel options:

  vnc video=720p ps3fb=4M

I updated the 'PS3 Fedora install HOW-TO' with this info:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-howto/ps3-fedora-install-howto.txt