[Cbe-oss-dev] No otheros feature on new PS3 slim ?

Clint Thomas cthomas at Soneticom.com
Sun Aug 23 07:57:04 EST 2009

Hey Geoff,

Was there a paricularly good reason SCE came down with this decision? I mean, how hard is it for them to migrate the feature over from the prior version of the PS3 to the new slim one? Its very disappointing for me to see Sony give up on the OSS community like this. Buying a Cell blade is out of the question for those of us in the starving artist category. Looks like I'll have to turn to Ebay to keep my cluster going :-/

CT

-----Original Message-----
From: cbe-oss-dev-bounces+cthomas=soneticom.com at lists.ozlabs.org [mailto:cbe-oss-dev-bounces+cthomas=soneticom.com at lists.ozlabs.org] On Behalf Of François Galea
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:43 AM
To: Geoff Levand
Cc: cbe-oss-dev at lists.ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: [Cbe-oss-dev] No otheros feature on new PS3 slim ?

Hi Geoff,

Geoff Levand a écrit :
> The feature of "Install Other OS" was removed from the new "Slim" PS3
> model to focus on delivering games and other entertainment content.
>
> Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for
> previously sold models that have the "Install Other OS" feature and
> that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.

Thank you for this clarification.

I would just like to express my disappointment about this choice from SCE. It is really bad news for the CBE open source community, because the new ps3 customers will not have access to what some oss developers have made, in the idea to let the others profit from their work. I never imaginated SCE would take such an arbitrary decision.

Cell B.E. programming is now officially reserved to a restricted community, which is not good news for the architecture in general. I guess most QSx Cell blade purchasers have made early testings on ps3's.
I doubt, as this has now become impossible, that selling Cell blades will be as easy as it was. The future will tell us.

François