[Cbe-oss-dev] Installing Debian on the PS3 Has the process changed?

thegame4121982 at msn.com thegame4121982 at msn.com
Wed Sep 24 04:42:44 EST 2008

    Hi I am writing to you because I have a question about the Debian installation process on the PS3? Has the installation process changed? I ask this because I need to reinstall Debian on my PS3 after I did something that messed up my Debian system. I tried a reinstall using my original Debian DVD media but to my disappointment, the media is now faulty. I downloaded another dated 09-15-08 and burned the DVD. I can still install Debian using your instructions but the x window system no longer starts up. I've hard that Xorg is now using an autodection based system an so you are no longer asked questions about your monitor and screen resolution during installation. This is fine if everything goes well as everything is auto detected but may bring problems if the autodection  fails for whatever reason.  Seems like you have to do some tweaking now to get everything working. Mainly, I think you need to get compile and install ps3-utils in text mode and then edit /etc/kboot.conf in order to be able to get the x window system to start and be able to use any of the available desktop environments.  Do you or anyone you know have spare time to verify if the Debian installation is now deferent? Thanks.