[Cbe-oss-dev] Looking for people interested in the Sony PS3 and Linux

John Lange john at johnlange.ca
Wed Sep 10 12:27:26 EST 2008

I would like to make contact with others who have done work getting the
PS3 to run Linux.

Specifically I have been spending a significant amount of time recently
trying to get things working smoothly on the PS3 under OpenSuSE 11 and
I'm hoping this list might be a good place to ask some questions.

As far as I can tell there is no "OpenSuSE / PS3" specific community or
mailing list so is this list the best place?

I've been trying to add as much information as possible to the OpenSUSE
PS3 web site http://en.opensuse.org/PS3 but this is strictly a one-way
thing.

Under the assumption that this is the best place, here are a couple of
starter questions.

- Since the PS3 has limited resources compared with a full-blown PC,
does it not make sense to have a PS3 specific kernel that contains only
the things that the PS3 needs?

There is already a kernel-ps3 for suse but its for the "otheros" boot
process only. However, as far as I can see this bare-bones ps3 kernel is
missing very little (for example sound support) to make it a fully
functional runtime kernel.

Is this not a good idea?

- Speaking of sound support, so far I haven't been able to get my PS3 to
make a peep. The OS seems to recognize the sound device but no audio
comes out. Could this be dependant on the way the PS3 is connected? I
have mine connected via the optical output.

Any help debugging this would be appreciated.

--
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca