[Cbe-oss-dev] Help needed diagnosing Ubuntu Intrepid showstopper

thegame4121982 at msn.com thegame4121982 at msn.com
Sun Oct 19 07:26:25 EST 2008

Hi I'm am no expert in things like this but I have a question and something
you can try to see if you can successfully have xorg load your desktop
environment. What version of the kernel are you using. Are you using the
current kernel from Ubuntu v2.6.27 or are you using a custom made kernel.
Reason I ask this is because seems like a lot of distros not just Ubuntu are
having problems running on the ps3 with their respective kernels. It seems
as if they way to go nowadays is if you want to run a current linux distro
on your ps3, you going to have to either build your own custom kernel for
the ps3 or have a already made kernel that works. Do you have a ps3 distro
kit on had? Sometimes it helps with booting the system and may help you
determine what the problem may be. Download the ps3 distro kit from here
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-distro-kit/
Burn it on a CD and copy the contents from the boot folder to the upmost top
level directory of a usb mass storage device such as a USB stick and connect
the USB mass storage device to your ps3. Boot into the other os and when it
is ready for you to press enter to boot into Ubuntu, instead type
sdd1:/vmlinux root=/dev/ps3da1 and press enter. it should boot and attempt
to load xorg and bring up the desktop environment. This command does not
change anything. It just tries to boot a tmp kernel from the USB device. If
this fails to bring up the desktop environment, look in your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file. In section "device"

Identifier    "Generic Video Card"
Driver    "fbdev"
Option    "Use FBDev"     "true"
Option    "ShadowFB"    "false"

In section "monitor"

Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
Identifier    "Default Screen"
Device    "Generic Video Card"
Monitor    "Generic Monitor"

Had a similar problem in which I would just get a blank screen because the
desktop environment would not load. Found this information when I was
troubleshooting for the problem I was having. Hope it is of any use.