[Cbe-oss-dev] Issues with current ps3-linux development kernel

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Tue May 20 18:58:52 EST 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Michael.Schoeller at inhouse.wko.at wrote:
> Maybe you have heard of that problem already and know a quick answer.
>
> I got the latest kernel from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git
> generate a config via make ps3_defconfig and build the kernel.
>
> The problem is that with that kernel only text mode is working.
> It seems there is something missing to enable graphic mode (Xserver).

As the PS3 uses a (virtual) frame buffer device, there's no real difference
between text mode and graphics mode (apart from a flag in the console
subsystem).

> At the point where the graphic mode should be enabled and a progress bar should be shown the screen is blinking several times and then booting is continuing in text mode.
> The default kernel is working fine. I use Fedora 9. Do you have any Idea?

What video mode does it boot in?
Is there an error message in /var/log/Xorg.*.log?

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · BIC GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619