[Cbe-oss-dev] Only 86MB of RAM available running Ubuntu 8.04 powerpc64-smp kernel on PS3

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Thu May 15 22:22:24 EST 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Geoff Levand wrote:
> Dan Munckton wrote:
> > I also noticed the FB is getting allocated an extra 9MB of space in the
> > hardy config. Obviously we can get by with only 9MB, so I presume the
> > motivation for 16MB would better support double-buffering/flipping is
> > that correct? What side effects would be incurred by setting this to
> > 9MB?
>
> The system won't support flipping for hi-res modes.  Flipping is a
> rarely used feature.

Or very large virtual screens (e.g. 4Kx2K, to get an idea of what the Full HD
successors will offer :-)

But normal users don't care, so `9 MiB should be enough for everybody'....

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · BIC GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619