[Cbe-oss-dev] Making the PS3 bleep

Jay Fenton na.nu at na.nu
Sat Jun 7 21:11:03 EST 2008

> Compiling Ubuntu's 2.6.25 kernel on my PS3 is taking around 2 hrs 20
> mins :(
>
> That's even with ccache, running on a decent kernel made with
> ps3_defconfig. So I need to walk away and leave it to work.
>
> Currently I have a script which builds the kernel then runs a WAV
> alarm
> sound using aplay. However this needs my TV to stay on and focused on
> the PS3 so the sound comes through the speakers.
>
> Is there a way to make the PS3 'beep' noise from Linux? I tried the
> standard beep utility but it didn't do anything.
>
> If I could get that to work my wife could watch the TV while I'm
> waiting
> for the build to finish :D

The PS3 does have an internal speaker (you can hear it
beep when you turn the device on) - not sure if it's
accessible from Linux at present, but you could just
try echo ^G from the console and see if anything
happens :)

Alternatively, you could use one of the many SMS gateways
out there e.g. Clickatel, iTagg etc. and just have a little
script fire off an SMS to your phone when it's done. They
use a very basic HTTP GET API so it's easy to call from
wget or curl.

Hope that helps :)

--
Regards,

Jay Fenton <jay.fenton at howlertech.com>
CTO, Howler Technologies Ltd
t: +44 (0)207 099 7095
f: +44 (0)207 099 7098
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jfenton

Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 06285634