[Cbe-oss-dev] Making the PS3 bleep

Dan Munckton lists at munckfish.net
Sat Jun 7 20:01:15 EST 2008

Hi

Compiling Ubuntu's 2.6.25 kernel on my PS3 is taking around 2 hrs 20
mins :(

That's even with ccache, running on a decent kernel made with
ps3_defconfig. So I need to walk away and leave it to work.

Currently I have a script which builds the kernel then runs a WAV alarm
sound using aplay. However this needs my TV to stay on and focused on
the PS3 so the sound comes through the speakers.

Is there a way to make the PS3 'beep' noise from Linux? I tried the
standard beep utility but it didn't do anything.

If I could get that to work my wife could watch the TV while I'm waiting
for the build to finish :D

Cheers

Dan