[Cbe-oss-dev] PCM device not found

Masakazu Mokuno mokuno at sm.sony.co.jp
Wed Jun 4 17:29:48 EST 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:35:17 +0200
<Michael.Schoeller at inhouse.wko.at> wrote:

> mokuno at sm.sony.co.jp wrote:
> >If the problem is module loading, the easy fix is to let the driver be linked into the kernel.
> Even if I do that, the problem still exists.

OK, so it wasn't module loading problem.

> Well the fact that speaker-test is working is confusing me.
> System->Preferences->Audio shows the problem really clear.

System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound?

I think anyway successful speaker-test meant ALSA worked almost fine
with the kernel and suggested there was something wrong in the user
space program.

> With the default Fedora9-kernel the PCM device is found, the mixer list box shows "PS3 mixer (ALSA)" and the listbox shows PCM.
> With the compiled kernel the combobox for mixer and the listbox are empty.

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce your symptom on my PS3 (F9).

The 'Default Mixer Tracks' control showed 'PS3 (ALSA mixer)', thus it
apparently found the device. Totem (the default application bound to WAV
file) played a WAV file ripped from CDDA disc.

I used the kernel http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git,
commit 92aab0965ef9e72eee6c879f95c35e8a00569ed2.  After 'make
ps3_defconfig', enabled CONFIG_PCI.

> If I use the fedorakernelconfig to build the kernel the PCM device and the mixer are found in the config applet.
> Seems to be not an kernel problem to me. It looks like that the mixer in Fedora need some additional support in the kernel (similar to Xorg that need PCI support).

It seems that F9's config enabled OSS compatible functions,
ps3_defconfig did not.  So enabling these might help.

-# CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER is not set
-# CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS is not set
-# CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS is not set
-# CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS is not set
-CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
+CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
+CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
+CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
+CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=m
+CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
+CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
+CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
+CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
+CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
+CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS=y
+# CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API is not set
 CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
-# CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
-# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set
+CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK=y