[Cbe-oss-dev] GELIC Wifi problems

Masakazu Mokuno mokuno at sm.sony.co.jp
Thu Jan 24 18:40:59 EST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 09:57:37 +1100
"Adam Clark" <noaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The gelic wireless driver selects one of scanned APs.  So if the list
> > doesn't have the AP which you want to connect, you cannot connet it.
>
> Is this likely to change at any point, the wireless drivers that comes
> with F7 seems to be able to do it.

The hypervisor interface for the wireless connection of PS3 is the steps
as follows:

1) The guest OS (driver) asks the hypervisor to collect AP information
(scanning list) and return it
2) The guest OS tells the cipher information, i.e. cipher algorithm
WEP/TKIP/CCMP and its keys, to the hypervisor
3) The guest OS selects one of APs which are returned by the hypervisor
and tells the index of the list to the hypervisor
4) The hypervisor (and wireless firmware) tries to connect the AP
specified in the step 3) and the hypervisor returns the result of the
try.

Thus the old driver also should _select_ an AP from the scanned list.

The difference between the old and new drivers is the rule of the selection.
The old driver just selects the first AP of the list if specified essid
is not found in the list.  As the hypervisor sorts the list according to
the radio signal strength, the old driver would try to connect to other
AP if more powerfull AP appears in your building, I think.

> Also, in another email you said there was a patch needed to apply to
> wpa_supplicant for it to work with this gelic driver.

Yes.  A patch is needed.

> Do you know if
> it has been merged as of yet.

Not yet.

> If not, can I obtain the patch and
> which version is needs to be applied to.

I'll send it to you in another mail.

regards

--
Masakazu MOKUNO