[Cbe-oss-dev] Still having problems booting

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Thu Jan 17 16:15:53 EST 2008

On 01/16/2008 08:48 PM, Bob McGwier wrote:
> I have done a full make from source following
>
> make mrproper
> make ps3_defconfig
> make
> make modules_install
> make install
>
> I then ran
>
> mkinitrd and mkzmage where I do all of the correct pointing of the
> initrd at the root file system at
>
> /dev/ps3da1
>
> using the kernel vmlinux made and installed /boot during the make
> install process and I get exactly the same errors as before
>
> cannot find /dev/root, etc.

There is another sorry bloke posting at the same time with the same
problem, (see the thread 'Kernel Install warnings') and I told him this:

ps3_defconfig doesn't need an intird, and the fedora mkinitrd seems to
not be compatible with ps3_defconfig.  Try to build with the fedora .config,
or this:

  make mrproper
  make ps3_defconfig;
  make
  make modules_install
  cp vmlinx /boot/

and this:

  image=/boot/vmlinux
   label=ps3
   read-only
   append="video=720p root=/dev/ps3da1"

Why don't you try it.  Make sure you DELETE any INSTALLED modules before
you build, otherwise you may get old stale modules AND the ps3_defconfig's
built-in drivers loading at kernel boot screwing things up...

You could also try the fedora kernel if you want:

 http://www.advogato.org/person/dwmw2/diary/175.html