[Cbe-oss-dev] Need for explanation about the dmabench bug

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Thu Jan 17 04:56:43 EST 2008

Nathalie Casati wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with the dmabench app included in the SDK. After a
> short while I discovered that launching it on 5 SPEs causes the Cell (in
> my case a playstation3) to freeze completely.
>
> I found this post :
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13985391
> regarding the subject. It is not very precise about the cause of this
> problem, nor the solution.
> I'm running gentoo with a patched 2.6.23 kernel (ps3-sources included in
> the cell overlay).
>
> Has anyone an explanation about this issue, a solution and or any other
> idea ?

I would like to help you, but I know nothing about the gentoo kernel, nor
that SDK app.

It would be helpful if you tried with the ps3-linux.git kernel, or the
linux-2.6.git kernel, and gave more specifics.  Your report of 'causes the
Cell to freeze completely' is of little use.  Do some debugging and try to
isolated the problem, and give more description of what is happening.  At
least try strace.