[Cbe-oss-dev] Still having problems booting

Robert McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 16:14:19 EST 2008

If I make a kernel as follows:

make ps3_defconfig
make
make modules_install
make install

and then modify yaboot.conf to use the new kernel and image,  the PS3
will not complete boot.  That has been true since I started doing git's
on 2.6.24.

mount and fdisk -l show

ps3da and ps3da1 is /  and ps3da2 is swap.

The kernel starts but then the error message is

cannot find /dev/root

followed by

cannot find /dev

I have modified the kernel command line argument in yaboot and modified
fstab in just about every way I can imagine with no joy.  I really need
to be able to compile so I can get NFS server support and turn off stuff
I do not need (using memory).

I did a yum upgrade to Fedora 8 but I had this problem before the upgrade.

Fedora 8 works perfectly well for me with the 1220 2.6.23 kernel.

Bob

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes