[Cbe-oss-dev] upcoming multimedia project for PS3

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Aug 27 03:15:28 EST 2008

Lucas Clemente Vella wrote:
> The obvious solution to my problem would be to install a full featured Linux
> distribution and use the media player I want. While I would be full of features
> now, I would lose the simplicity, easy of use and speed of the native player.
>
> Well, if you consider, this is not an exaggerated situation. A Linux
> distribution is not a practical solution to the common video watcher.

You can make a custom distro for yourself.  There are several that allow easy
customization and some of those can even create 'Live CD' images.  Nothing
about doing that is PS3 specific.

If you don't want the multi-boot capability of a bootloader you can speed
startup by putting your kernel in flash memory and have it booted directly.