[Cbe-oss-dev] Petitboot Issue

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed Aug 6 02:52:56 EST 2008

Jiafu Gao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like what I saw about Petitboot, and decided to give it try tonight.
>
> My PS3 has Ubuntu 7.10, and the otheros.bld is still the one comes with
> the install CD. I copied the petitboot otheros.bld to my usb flashdrive
> at PS3/otheros directoy. PS3 find it ok, and when I reboot, the UI comes
> up fine. First only 1 icon (the hard disk) appears on the left, and
> nothing appears on the right. I said oh oh. When I accidently press the
> down key, the hard disk icon get selected, and then the boot selection
> of my Ubuntu appears on the right (linux=... and old=...).  So this is
> the first issue: petitboot should select one on the left automatically.
> In this case, the hard disk should be selected by default.

Please feel free to submit a patch to this ML for review that adds
this behavior.

> I selected the 1st item (linux=.. ), Booting linux... appears on the
> status line. A good sign. However, there is no hard disk activity.
> Waited for about 10 minutes, and nothing progressed: the GUI still
> there. So it didn't boot my linux.

Do you mean the petitboot GUI, or your the GUI of your installed
distro?

> Before the GUI appears, I do see some error about mount ps3da3 error:
> Invalid parameter. ps3da5 etc. After I selected linux=.., I could switch
> my tty to the error console, so I am not sure if any error printed out.
>
> Could my fstab used UUID instead of the dev name such as /dev/ps3da1?
> Can I change it to the dev name?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like a problem with your kboot.conf.  Please post it.

Also see:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-howto/ps3-boot-recovery-howto.txt