[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 Linux and standby

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Tue Apr 15 07:37:50 EST 2008

Christian Greissing wrote:
> I hope you can help me with a small problem regarding the ps3 and linux.
> It is possible to start the PS3 with the PS button of the controller, when
> the system is configured to boot to GameOS. But as soon as default system
> ist switched to OtherOS this functionality isn't available anymore, even
> when I boot Linux and then set the boot GameOS flag and shutdown linux, its
> not possible to start the console with the PS button.
> Is there a special flag that has to be set in the flash area, or any other
> possibility to make this feature available ?

Other OS wake up from the PS button (USB or Bluetooth) is not supported. Below
is a comment from the Linux sys-manager driver.  Note the last sentence.  The
system manger will ignore any other bits.

/**
 * enum ps3_sys_manager_wake_source - Next-op wakeup source (bit position mask).
 * @PS3_SM_WAKE_DEFAULT: Disk insert, power button, eject button, IR
 * controller, and bluetooth controller.
 * @PS3_SM_WAKE_RTC:
 * @PS3_SM_WAKE_RTC_ERROR:
 * @PS3_SM_WAKE_W_O_L: Ether or wireless LAN.
 * @PS3_SM_WAKE_P_O_R: Power on reset.
 *
 * Additional wakeup sources when specifying PS3_SM_NEXT_OP_SYS_SHUTDOWN.
 * The system will always wake from the PS3_SM_WAKE_DEFAULT sources.
 * Sources listed here are the only ones available to guests in the
 * other-os lpar.
 */

The full source for the driver is here:

  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/ps3/ps3-sys-manager.c;hb=HEAD