[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems compiling spe-samples-1.0 on PS3

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Wed May 30 01:53:55 EST 2007

Andreas Thorsén wrote:
> Geoff Levand skrev:
>>> generated by GNU Autoconf 2.59.  Invocation command line was
>>

>> I have Autoconf 2.61, I think that may be the trouble. You
>> must have an old distro.  I'm not interested in supporting
>> old stuff.  You should see if there is a package update for
>> autoconf available.
>>
>>> configure:1710: checking whether the C compiler works
>>> configure:1716: ./a.out
>>> ./configure: line 1717: ./a.out: cannot execute binary file
>>
>> Here's where it fails.  It doesn't seem to understand it is a
>> cross-compile.
>>
>>> host=''
>>> host_alias='spu'
>>> host_cpu=''
>>> host_os=''
>>> host_vendor=''
>>
>> I have:
>>
>> host='spu-unknown-elf'
>> host_alias='spu'
>> host_cpu='spu'
>> host_os='elf'
>> host_vendor='unknown'
>
> Umm.. I seem to have resolved this issue. I installed 'ed' and 'elfspe2'
> because I had problems with something else and now I have no problems
> with your samples. './bootstrap', './configure' and 'make' all work. I
> guess elfspe2 was the missing piece of the puzzle?

Sorry you had all that trouble.  I just installed all the 'SPE Runtime Lib v2.1'
stuff from http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/.

I realized when you first sent your report that it would be best to check
for installed packages from the configure script and give a warning or error
when dependencies are missing.  I'll try to add that support when I next
work on my samples.