[Cbe-oss-dev] Where can I find the Fedora 7 image supported by kboot?

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Thu May 24 04:02:58 EST 2007

� wrote:
> According to the README in the latest version of addon disc for PS3 it
> says kboot now supports a Fedora 7 install DVD. However, I'm unable to
> get it to accept Fedora 7 test4 (6.93) image for example. It says it's
> not a Fedora 6 DVD or something similar.

I guess that message comes from the Fedora 6 install script inside kboot
(cl-install, or something).  That was needed for Fedora 6 because
Fedora 6 did not support the PS3.

Fedora 7 supports PS3, but the Fedora 7 install DVD is missing the PS3
bootloader, so you need to install it separately, and the yaboot.conf
entries are not really usable on the PS3.

I just tested this, and should work:

1) Install the 20070516 version of kboot from CELL-Linux-CL_20070516-ADDON.iso
(237 MiB) or use the minimal (2.6 Mib) one I put here:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/kboot_20070516.iso

2) Set the system to boot 'other os'.

3) Insert the Fedora 7 install DVD and boot the system.  kboot should recognize
the DVD. Type one of these at the kboot prompt:

  kboot: /ppc/ppc64/vmlinuz initrd=/ppc/ppc64/ramdisk.image.gz video=720p

or

  kboot: /ppc/ppc64/vmlinuz initrd=/ppc/ppc64/ramdisk.image.gz video=480i text

Note that if you hit 'return' or type 'linux' at the kboot prompt the installer
will start, but in the default i480 video mode, which will not be able to show
the installer's dialog buttons.

I didn't finish the install yet, but this will get it running for you.