[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems building the ps3-linux branch

Julio M. Merino Vidal jmerino at ac.upc.edu
Fri Mar 16 03:19:29 EST 2007

On 15/03/2007, at 16:34, Geoff Levand wrote:

> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> OK, I've been testing the kernel today.  It seems to boot fine with
>> your fix, but I've been unable to get the YDL5 installation on the
>> PS3 to start with the updated kernel.
>

> YDL has a know problem in its startup scripts.  I recommend you use
> FC5 to start.  See:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-linux-
> distro-kit-20061208/doc/HowToEnableYourDistro.html
>
> After that is working for you, think about FC6 since I don't use FC5
> anymore.

Hmm, getting FC6 to work would be nice.  Will see what I can do (have
to convince my supervisor to do the change ;-).

>> I've done a lot of tests, but the one that seems more "correct" is
>> this:
>>
>> I built the ps3-linux branch by using the ps3_defconfig as is,
>> without any changes.  Then I ran "make targz-pkg".  I copied the
>> resulting file, linux-2.6.21-rc3-g6a692aee-dirty.tar.gz, to the PS3,
>> where I unpacked it in a temporary directory.
>>
>> I put the modules in place and copied the vmlinux image to /boot/
>> vmlinux-jmerino.  I then created a new initrd by using "mkinitrd /
>> boot/initrd-jmerino.img 2.6.21-rc3-g6a692aee-dirty" and added an
>> entry to /etc/kboot.conf.  I mimic'ed the one for ydltext but
>> replacing the version numbers with "jmerino", which is:
>

> If you plan to do development work with the kernel I recommend you
> set up an NFS root file system:
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-nfs-
> root-howto.txt
>
> Then build with something like
>
> ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE='ccache /opt/cell/toolchain-3.3/bin/
> ppu-' INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/target/tool INSTALL_PATH=/target/tool/boot
> && cp arch/powerpc/buld/zImage.ps3 /target/tool/boot zImage

For my purposes, I think it'd be easier to just set up a tftp server
with the kernel on it, and not using modules; this is what I've done
for NetBSD kernel development for a while and is useful enough.  I've
yet to get tftp to work from kboot though.

> This is because YDL is setup for the 2.6.16 legacy kernel.
>
> Try (on the ps3):
>
> cd /dev
>
> MAKEDEV console

Will try that tomorrow.

>> PS: Is it there any other mailing list more suitable for "Linux on
>> PS3" questions or this one is fine?
>

> Much of this is really not PS3 specific.  Try some general Linux
> development resources.  Anyway, good luck with it.

OK, you're right.

Thanks!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmerino at ac.upc.edu>