[Cbe-oss-dev] Problems building the ps3-linux branch

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Mar 16 02:23:00 EST 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Then, the kernel starts up but when it is time to exec init, it says:
>
> Warning: Unable to open an initial console.
>
> I've also tried multiple other things, such as 1. building a kernel
> without modules support and keeping everything in it, 2. not using an
> initrd at all, or 3. reusing the initrd for the default YDL5 kernel.
> All tests failed with the above or with a message saying that the
> kernel could not find init (even though it seemed to correctly mount
> the root partition).
>
> I'm not sure why this is failing, nor have been able to find a
> solution.  Any clue?

My guess is that your root partition does not have the /dev/null
and /dev/console nodes and for some reason your initrd fails to
create them before they are accessed the first time.

You could try the following commands to make sure they exist on
your root partition:

mount --bind / /mnt
cp -a /dev/* /mnt/dev/
umount /mnt