[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 Linux boot loader discussions

YAEGASHI Takeshi t at keshi.org
Sat Jan 27 14:58:54 EST 2007

Hiroyuki Machida wrote:
> As Geert mentions, The solution is using UUID in the label and repalce
> it in initrd
> which is located in removable media.

Ok, uuid seems a usable option.  Not only ext2/3, FAT also has a
volume serial number which is identified as uuid by libblkid.
But I wonder what is uuid for isofs/udf...

In the most common scenario, a user plugs 2 or more bootable
devices which have a filesystem labeled "BOOTMC" or "/" with
/etc/kboot.conf of the identical content.

It's expected that the next-gen kboot's behavior in such a case
should be getting the user to choose which filesystem to get
/etc/kboot.conf from and also passing that information to the
booting kernel, for example, with the boot parameter
"kboot=UUID=b97a872f-3657-40aa-8071-12d66fb69f43".

Btw, current kboot (20061208) has old libblkid of BusyBox which
only sees FAT volume label in the boot sector, not in the root
directory entries (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table for details).

This is quite inconvenient because there's no utility to modify
it and user must use /bin/dd if he want to do it.  It would be
nice if we have the latest libblkid backported from e2fsprogs,
which supports a volume label in the root directory entries.

--
YAEGASHI Takeshi