[Cbe-oss-dev] Custom partition layout troubles with Kboot?

Edward Strong edo at onkeh.net
Thu Dec 13 04:26:45 EST 2007

I know this question is probably beneath you guys but I've been trying to
figure this out for 2 days now and nobody else at the various resources I
looked at have a clue.

I'm trying to set-up F8 on my PS3 using a custom partitioning layout.  It
currently looks something like this:

ps3da1: ext3, 128MB, mount point=/boot
ps3da2: swap, 512MB
ps3da3: ext3, remaining space, mount point=/

However it seems no matter what I try, I get a "mount: could not find
filesystem at '/dev/root'" error at nash stage after kboot boots the
kernel.

I'm assuming that "LABEL=/" is the root filesystem alias passed on from
kboot to Fedora and is used in both yaboot.conf and fstab.  Upon looking
in these files (via a Gentoo rescue disc) I found that this alias had been
changed to "LABEL=/1".  I read elsewhere that this can be caused by a bug
in the manual partition layout tool and can be fixed by simply removing
the offending "1", however I still get the same error.

I also noticed that since /boot is now mounted on a separate partition,
yaboot.conf has now been moved from /etc to /boot/etc/, is this normal?

If someone could tell me where I'm going wrong I would be most appreciative.

Regards,

Edward