[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 performance analysis - errors on loading cellperfctr module

Takashi02 Yamamoto Takashi02_Yamamoto at hq.scei.sony.co.jp
Wed Dec 12 14:13:37 EST 2007

Hello,

cbe-oss-dev-bounces+takashi02_yamamoto=hq.scei.sony.co.jp at ozlabs.org wrote
on 2007/12/12 08:36:07:
> Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Geoff Levand wrote:
> >> The Cell's hardware profiling support is a hypervisor resource, so
> on PS3
> >> you cannot access those resources directly as you can when Linux is
> running
> >> on the raw hardware.  The IBM Cell Blade for example runs without a
> hypervisor,
> >> and it uses cellperfctr.ko.  There currently is no Linux profiling
> support
> >> on PS3 other than the standard oprofile timer based sampling that the
> >> generic powerpc code provides.
> >>
> >> In general there is a desire to provide some kind of Cell specific
> profiling
> >> support for the PS3, but nothing has been announced.
> >
> > What about the stuff at
> >
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/eranian/linux-2.6.git;a=commit
> diff;h=0c39912be3f6cc5df13f107354a97f4bd6c96643
> >
> > This at least seems to be on a public server. Is that only work in
> progress,
> > or is it usable to some degree?
>
> Yes, it is usable, I didn't know it was released yet.
>
> Yamato-san can you please let us know the status.

The basic perfmon2 functions work well on PS3 like IBM Cell blade.

But I think it needs some improvements.
 - PPU HW thread depended event support(per-thread mode).
 - SPU thread chasing (per-thead mode).
 - 16bit counter
 - ...
I'm discussing them on the perfmon2 mailing list.

The above PS3 perfmon2 support was included in
PS3 Linux Distributor's Starter Kit (v1.5).

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20071023-ADDON/README-e.txt

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/CELL-Linux-CL_20071023-ADDON/

The oprofile support was also included in it except SPU profiling.

Thanks.
Takashi Yamamoto