[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 performance analysis - errors on loading cellperfctr module

Uzi Shvadron SHVADRON at il.ibm.com
Thu Dec 13 02:42:36 EST 2007

cbe-oss-dev-bounces+shvadron=il.ibm.com at ozlabs.org wrote on 12/12/2007
11:07:23:

> On 12/12/2007, at 6:20, Uzi Shvadron wrote:
>

> > cbe-oss-dev-bounces+shvadron=il.ibm.com at ozlabs.org wrote on 12/12/2007
> > 02:06:48:
> >
> > Can one of you guys try the PDT tool on PS3? It comes with the Cell
> > SDK3.0.
> > The tool provides performance analysis by tracing including profiling
> > capabilities. It is purely software base so I do not expect any
> > problems as
> > I see here. Details can be found in the Programmer's Guide. (We do
> > not have
> > a PS3 to play with... :-( )
>
> The only problem I have found so far with PDT is that the kernel
> module shipped with the SDK does not install with a ps3-linux kernel
> (not even with module versioning enabled).  And I doubt that the
> kernel distributed with the SDK works on a PS3, nor I want to try.
> (Other than that, I assume it works fine but I haven't tried it yet.)

On the PS3 (where I assume there is one user running one application) there
might not be a need for the PDT kernel module. The module is used to
provide notifications on SPEs context switching. When the SPEs are not over
committed (that is, the number of SPE threads is smaller or equal to the
physical SPEs) there should be no context switching.
So, if your program and environment meet the above requirements you should
be able to use PDT even if the kernel module is not installed and get
useful trace that can be analyzed by PDTR and VPA.

Uzi Shvadron.