[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3 performance analysis - errors on loading cellperfctr module

Uzi Shvadron SHVADRON at il.ibm.com
Wed Dec 12 16:20:58 EST 2007

cbe-oss-dev-bounces+shvadron=il.ibm.com at ozlabs.org wrote on 12/12/2007
02:06:48:

Can one of you guys try the PDT tool on PS3? It comes with the Cell SDK3.0.
The tool provides performance analysis by tracing including profiling
capabilities. It is purely software base so I do not expect any problems as
I see here. Details can be found in the Programmer's Guide. (We do not have
a PS3 to play with... :-( )

> I do not believe you will get OProfile to work on the PS3.  It is my
> understanding that the PS3 processor is shipped in with the hardware
> security enabled.  The hardware security disables the reading of the
> program counter.  It is part of the hardware security features to
> prevent the reverse engineering of an application.  So, the fact that
> the hypervisor support is not there really doesn't matter.  You will
> need a PS3 system that does not have the hardware disabled.
>
> The processor in the IBM CELL product is not shipped with the hardware
> security enabled hence all the hardware support is enabled so OProfile
> works.
>
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 15:36 -0800, Geoff Levand wrote:
> > Arnd Bergmann wrote:
PS3