[Cbe-oss-dev] PS3: Problems with console and reboot

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Sun Dec 2 01:23:03 EST 2007

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> I have installed a recent kernel from Geoff's ps3-linux today's
> sources on a couple of European PS3s: one is the 60GB model and the
> other is the 40GB one, both with WiFi.  I have enabled some extra
> options in the kernels aside from what ps3_defconfig enables, such as
> everything needed to get SystemTap working and CONFIG_AUDIT.
>
> But then the kernel fails in a couple of places:
>
> 1. The USB keyboard does not work, so I can only use the machine
> through SSH.  Even though, the kernel does see the device when
> connecting it:
>
> usb 1-2.4: new full speed USB device using ps3-ehci-driver and address 3
> usb 1-2.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> hub 1-2.4:1.0: USB hub found
> hub 1-2.4:1.0: 3 ports detected
> usb 1-2.4.2: new low speed USB device using ps3-ehci-driver and
> address 4
> usb 1-2.4.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb 1-2.4.3: new full speed USB device using ps3-ehci-driver and
> address 5
> usb 1-2.4.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> (I tried two keyboards.  One with an US layout and one with an ES one.)
>
> 2. The machine does not reboot automatically.  (I remember this
> problem also popped up a while ago and was later fixed... but
> unfortunately it is here again.)

Does this happen on all models?
What firmware versions do they have?

Can you please also post your .config (or make it available elsewhere)?

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
The Corporate Village · Da Vincilaan 7-D1 · B-1935 Zaventem · Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax:      +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:   Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe
A division of Sony Service Centre (Europe) N.V.
Registered office: Technologielaan 7 · B-1840 Londerzeel · Belgium
VAT BE 0413.825.160 · RPR Brussels
Fortis Bank Zaventem · Swift GEBABEBB08A · IBAN BE39001382358619