[Bitcoin-dev-moderation] Moderation on bitcoin-dev: "BIP proposal: Increase block size limit to 2 megabytes"

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Mon Feb 8 17:17:51 AEDT 2016

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:56:28AM +0000, Luke Dashjr wrote:
> On Monday, February 08, 2016 1:51:54 AM Rusty Russell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >         Despite some gems, this thread has become toxic.  Responses
> > are increasingly inflamed, constructive suggestions scarce.
> >
> >         Each time a discussion fails in this mode, future conversations
> > become harder: progress and compromise dims.  We all lost something here.
> >
> > I ask the moderators that we begin politely rejecting mails on this
> > thread in the next 24 hours.  If agreed, I'll send a message to that
> > effect to the ml.
>
> How should we continue to discuss calmly the issues involved in this thread?

It would also be helpful for the moderators to say which responses fall
into this category; my impression is still that many of the responses in
that thread are civil, calm, constructive, and even constitute
compromises; tighter moderation rather than complete rejection may still
be productive.

Of course, it probably is true that the supermajority of participants in
Bitcoin Core development think Gavin's proposal is "out-to-lunch" - in
circumstances like that the underlying disagreements are so vast that
further discussion on a dev list might not be productive for those
involved.

00000000000000000600f8b33cad973769d5ead868b978d17a54c4500641f56c