[Auugps] [AUUG-Talk]: AUUGPS and AUUG status

Lawrie Brown Lawrie.Brown at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Oct 30 13:29:23 EST 2008

Hi Steve

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 01:00:24PM +1100, steve jenkin wrote:
> Greg's post is good and raises many points that must be addressed.
> Thank God people are willing to think & talk about AUUG again!

Ack

> Before the *lists* get too far along in their discussions, I'd like to
> suggest that the 24 (?) current/financial AUUG members be polled for
> their views. NOT a formal vote, but a poll - outside the constitution,
> so it is non-binding and can be done informally/electronically.
> These are the people who's views *matter* - that have to vote in the

Its actually 27 (incl the 3 life members).

Yes I have setup a mailing list to contact these people, and yes I'm
planning to circulate an update and request for people's intentions in
the near future (probably next week). However I'm trying to coordinate
with Peter Wishart to get a minimally functioning board up first, so
that we have a governing structure that can actually progress things on
the AUUG side. I'll also note that I can count on one hand the number of
current members who've contributed an opinion recently ....

When it comes to the AUUG Preservation Society though, that IS currently
a separate entity, as Stephen indicated when he created it.  Discussion
of its structure and future IS appropriate on the AUUGPS list (which
constitutes its current members).

If it turns out that evolving the existing AUUG into AUUGPS is whats
desired, then thats what we'll arrange. However I'll note that for
the reasons which I've already spelt out in previous emails, that is
not what the current consensus seems to be.

Meanwhile, be assured I am trying to progress action on the AUUG side, and
to determine what needs to be done in the short term. When I'm clear on
what steps I think are needed (and be assured this wont include actions
that preclude either future evolution of AUUG or its wind-up at this
stage), I'll let people know and solicit their opinions.

If you're a current AUUG member and wish to commit to helping, please
contact me. This offer will be repeated in more detail in my post to
members when I can outline some clear progress.

> Allow Proxies for people "off-net".

For the record, I have email addresses for all current financial
members (if you think yours is likely to be wrong, again let me know).
Given the revised AUUG constitution allows electronic communications
and voting, that is what we intend to use.

Regards
Lawrie