[Auugps] Incorporation

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Oct 27 16:11:39 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 15:43 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Is my original statement sufficient?  Or do we need more detail?

If we are to be an association, then we need something more detailed.
Here's a first shot:

The objects of the association are:

- to be the custodian of the domain name "auug.org.au" and all
subdomains of that name;

- to set up and maintain procedures whereby email addresses in the above
domains may be arranged, operated and removed when no longer required;

- to receive and keep safe such digital assets as the association may
see fit to preserve, in particular those of the Australian Unix Users
Group Incorporated;

- to make said digital assets available to interested parties by
appropriate means and on appropriate terms;

- to purchase, lease, hire or otherwise acquire by means of trustees or
others for the purposes of the association any real or personal property
and to let, demise, sell, mortgage or otherwise dispose of the same; and

- to do all such things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment
of the above objects.

> Thanks for the offer - I was going to try to draft something tonight.  I
> started on trying to just note modifications to the Model Rules, but it
> was getting out of hand.

The trick is to take a copy of the Model Rules and modify it if desired.
The usual things that need fixing are the membership requirements,
process of becoming a member, process of ceasing to be  member,
sometimes some transparency issues and of course some Objects. I've
attached the rules I've recently worked up for the local theatre
company.

We probably don't need half of section 15, and we might like to add some
words to allow teleconferencing and/or email voting. Except for fixing
the objects, I reckon this would pretty much do. Needs only to be
cross-checked against the ACT model rules (will differ from NSW model
rules).

> We only need three members on the committee (I think).  And only 5
> members altogether.

Good.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28