[Auugps] AUUGPS v. Linux Australia v. AUUG continuing

David Newall david.newall at auug.org.au
Mon Nov 24 15:59:46 EST 2008

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> make it very clear that AUUG as it
>> used to exist does not any more.  Having a new name gives us proper
>> break and changes peoples expectations about what the organisation
>> will be doing.
>>

> On this second point I disagree.  The name is important, and at least
> in theory the association still exists.

What we call AUUG is named the Australian UNIX and Open Systems User
Group Incorporated.  I see no reason why AUUG couldn't be replaced by
something else called AUUG but named the AUUG Preservation Society.
This would preserve the moniker, which I think is what's important.  The
name is not so important.

>> The main problem we have here (as I see it) is that any body
>> that the domain name is transferred to must fulfil the requirements of
>> the AUDA to hold the license.  There are two parts, eligibility to hold
>> any name, and eligibility to hold that particular name.
>> I think 1. above rules out an individual hold the license of an
>> org.au domain. So the advantage of an incorporated AUUGPS is that it
>> easily fulfils both parts.

If you look closely at the document Stephen referred to you'll see it's
not so much a code as a sort of guideline.  I think an unincorporated
body could succeed in getting the domain.

> We've already seen multiple related cases (local Linux groups) where
> non-incorporated groups have a .org.au. domain.

Exactly.