[Auugps] AUUGPS

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Thu Nov 6 17:59:45 EST 2008

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday,  1 November 2008 at 17:20:53 +1030, David Newall wrote:
>
>> Dave Horsfall wrote:

>>> Personally I don't see what the problem is with this; those who bleat the
>>> loudest usually are not willing to work towards a solution.
>>>
>> Speaking as one who's bleated loudly whilst doing much work, I do see a
>> problem.  How can anyone work towards a solution if the facts are
>> withheld?  What's the problem with discussing the board's decisions?
>>

> I must say I find this quite disappointing.  I don't know who Dave is
> referring to with "bleat the loudest", but it seem that you and I, who
> have done a lot towards keeping AUUG alive, are being discriminated
> against because we are not "financial" members.

I feel exactly the same.  This members-only policy makes a strong
statement about who's opinions are NOT welcome.  I'm unlikely to become
a financial member again, any time soon: I've unfortunately had a
troubled financial situation for, well many years, truth be told, and
paying membership fees to AUUG no longer even makes it onto my
discretionary spending wish list.  Even though I've gladly shouldered
more than my fair share of the load over the years, and continue to do
so, it seems I'm not to know what moves are afoot until it's all a
done-deal; which is irritating.

Cynics could say that the distinction between AUUG and Linux Australia
is similar to that between proprietary UNIX and open source Linux.
Perhaps, conducting this business in private resonates with that?