File Manager Service in OpenBMC

Andrew Jeffery andrew at codeconstruct.com.au
Mon Feb 12 09:15:12 AEDT 2024

Hi Sunitha,

On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 11:23 +0530, Sunitha Harish wrote:
> Thank you Andrew for the reply.
>
> When IBM manages a single server with multiple management
> clients(redfish clients), they need to save some server related data
> (host data) in the form of files at BMC's persistent file system.

What are the specific use-cases though? It seems that we've jumped
straight to an implementation detail (persisted files) when it's not
clear to me *what* it is that's needing to be communicated to begin
with.

>  Here
> BMC is used as a common persistent storage, which is accessible to all
> connected redfish clients.

Okay, but why is that necessary? Can you please enumerate the use-
cases?

The use-cases are what allows us to find an intersection of interests
with others in the community.

Discussions in the abstract in the context of a specific implementation
approach feel to me like they might struggle to gain traction.

> Additionally, for IBM usecase, BMC need not consume these files, as they
> are targeted to be used by the host/hypervisor.

If they're not used by the BMC can you unpack why they need to be
stored on the BMC?

Andrew