File Manager Service in OpenBMC

Sunitha Harish sunithaharish04 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 16:53:55 AEDT 2024

Thank you Andrew for the reply.

When IBM manages a single server with multiple management
clients(redfish clients), they need to save some server related data
(host data) in the form of files at BMC's persistent file system. Here
BMC is used as a common persistent storage, which is accessible to all
connected redfish clients.

Additionally, for IBM usecase, BMC need not consume these files, as they
are targeted to be used by the host/hypervisor. We control the file
permissions accordingly to make it non-executable at BMC. We already
have a implementation at the bmcweb currently at
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/include/ibm/management_console_rest.hpp.
This is being re-designing as i mentioned in previous email.

If community is interested to have a File Manager running in BMC, then
this re-design can be a generic solution.

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha