Add network RoutingPolicyRules at OpenBMC Networkd

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Sun Oct 15 05:29:13 AEDT 2023

Hi Sunitha!

>> I also believe that in production environments the BMC shall not be connected to the same network segment using multiple interfaces.
>> If that is needed for failover, then we should think about adding the bridging and bonding support instead
> Do you have more details on this please?

Sure. Honestly, I haven’t dealt with either technique for quite many years now, and when I had, my experience was far from being vast, but I still remember those things do exist.
So here are some resources that I found that look relevant:

https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/04/06/introduction-linux-bridging-commands-and-features
https://www.learnitguide.net/2015/07/what-is-bonding-how-to-configure.html

>> P.S. I also believe that it is VERY wrong that we still allow setting per-interface gateways as BMC is not a router device and doesn’t (and shouldn’t) allow for configuring policy routing or any routing whatsoever.

> I believe this was done purposefully some years ago. @Ravi please share the details if you have the history.
I you can provide any rationale for that, I’d be grateful. We’ve been having all sorts of trouble due to that for quite a long time.

WBR, Alexander.