OpenBMC kernel and CONFIG_PREEMPT

William Kennington wak at google.com
Sat Apr 8 06:05:37 AEST 2023

It's interesting because I think it has a bigger impact on the 8xx chip
than the 7xx chip. AFAIK I was indirectly comparing this and it seems like
it didn't make a huge difference for us on our older BMCs. We have it
disabled on our 5.15 configs, but used it in 5.10. I don't think we noticed
a meaningful difference when porting forward. Probably you need a certain
amount of startup services trying to steal time from each other.